NUUGs plan for Civic Hacking
Ideas for Civic Hacking in Norway
Norwegian Unix User Group
What to expect
- Why Civic Hacking?
- Never heard of NUUG?
- Some completed projects
- Some planned projects
- Some project ideas
Why Civic Hacking
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed
citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that
- Margaret Mead
Never heard of Norwegian Unix User Group / NUUG?
- Member association consisting of around 300 people.
- For us believing free software, open standards and UNIX-like
operating systems are important.
- Funded in 1984 to help members get access to email.
- Social and professional events.
- Hope to affect public policy and improve society.
- While having fun.
- Cooperate with Holder de ord, Frikanalen and others.
- NUUG have the skills and equipment to have an impact.
- Help the government to fix public infrastructure.
- Citizens service and focus.
- Announced in 2011.
- Based on FixMyStreet from mySociety.
Mimes brønn / Mimes well
- Help citizens learn what the government know.
- Help the government save time by only providing information once.
- Covered in separate talk.
- Based on Alaveteli from mySociety.
What is needed
- Keeping an eye on the government, the press and the
- Open data and data analysis.
- Downloadable raw data and Web API access.
- RSS sources.
- Free and open content license (preferrably something like
- Locate, track and archive all Norwegian work in the public
domain (using RDF?).
- Election handout archive,
- Central archive of government mail journals.
- Historic parliament records (current ones can be found on
- Election candidate archive, [mysociety, NO gov].
- Party funding data.
- Government budget and accounting data.
- Parliament video archive.
- Mapping Hacks by Schyler Erle